Sunday, January 3, 2010

Making Friends

Today was the first day back to school since winter break began at ABS. Every one of us on this project here in Jordan have had and still have those moments when we are going through the daily grind, where we wonder why we've come here and for what purpose. Having the time to stand back and reflect during the break helped me to value this opportunity to serve and more specifically in my case to value working with the people I am. There are definitely still frustrations at times with things such as cultural differences or simply the friction that sometimes comes from having different ideas about how to get a job done, but I've learned that coming into those situations with a yielding attitude and pursuit to be helpful and not with an attitude of -we should really do it this way that I am thinking of- has enabled a forming of relationships with my fellow teachers in the KG (even if it at times it does make more sense to do something another way and of course not to the point of neglecting to input ideas to get the job done when requested and given the opportunity). At the end of the day, it is all about serving and living the way of give to build the relationships with our future and potential brothers and sisters wherever we happen to be.

When I arrived in the KG this morning around 8 am, there were many greetings of "good morning" and a lot of sincere inquiries into how everyone was doing. I am fortunate to be working with a small team of teachers and a few support staff with the total reaching 20, it was fairly easy to get to know every one quickly because of that. We have to band together to make the KG building run smoothly and to give instruction to the 150 students in our care. Through these common goals we have formed relationships that are wonderful.

Today I understood just how much those other 19 ladies mean to me and that I am so thankful to have this opportunity to get to know them and live in their part of the world for a while. The common gesture here in Jordan that is shown between friends (not simple acquaintances) when they see each other after a bit of an absence, is to kiss once on one cheek and two or three times on the other (I still don't quite have the format down exactly). Although this gesture is not something I'm particularly used to (and can sometimes seem very humorously awkward), I was honored to be considered enough of a friend to be welcomed back to school that way today. I know every day won't begin like today did, but it was a great encouragement and reminder as to why we're living and serving in Jordan this year. We are here to build bonds and to live as an example in serving the people by which we are surrounded.

~Audry~

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome attitude Audry! Thanks for sharing your insight!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relationships really are the spice of life - I'm glad you had a good start to January!
    -Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Audry,
    Thank you for sharing your experiences at ABS with us. I am happy that all of you are developing relationships with those that you are working with. I look forward to you sharing your thoughts of your recent trip to northern Israel with us.
    Reggie Warren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audry and all-- Good observations and thanks for sharing the atmosphere you experience at ABS! I have really appreciated these personal observations and updates...keep them coming!
    Douglas Horchak

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for Jordanian triple kisses! Thanks for sharing and for doing such an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete